Home / News / Biogas popular in Lhamoizingkha
Biogas is the primary source of fuel for cooking in Lhamoizingkha
Biogas is the primary source of fuel for cooking in Lhamoizingkha

Biogas popular in Lhamoizingkha

For about 26 households in Lhamoizingkha gewog in Dagana, biogas has become the primary source of fuel for cooking purposes.

The people, however, use Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) as an alternative.

Farmgaon has the highest biogas users with more than 15 households installed with biogas plants.

A resident, Purnima Pradhan, said that although she owns a cow, she uses non-toxic and clean energy daily. “Fuel generation is slightly lower in winter.”

She said that biogas is useful as cow dung, which is a waste, is utilised to produce energy.

Another farmer in Farmgaon, Laki Maya Pradhan, said that the energy produced from biogas plant was enough to cook food for her family.

“I don’t use LPG,” she said.

A biogas plant costs between Nu 25,000 to Nu 40,000 depending on the size and location. Farmers receive a subsidy of 45 percent, while the remaining 55 percent investment is equity-based, where its 50 percent is loaned by BDBL without any collateral at 10 percent interest.

About 10 kg of cattle dung will produce enough gas to burn a stove for an hour.

Although only two plants were installed in 2017, Lhamoizingkha gup Surja Bahadur Limboo said biogas plants are highly recommendable and more people would go for the cheap energy.

Most farmers in Lhamoizingkha installed biogas plants about three to four years ago.

Phub Gyeltshen, 59, of Kuendrelthang village said he doesn’t use LPG at home. With four crossbreed cows at home, his family of five uses biogas only.

“I have one LPG cylinder that the government had recently distributed but I do not use it,” he said. Phub Gyeltshen said he used the LPG only once in a while.

Meanwhile, the residents use biogas only for cooking. Although few have tried it for lighting, none used it for the long run.

Rajesh Rai | Lhamoizingkha

Check Also

Medical errors lack study and awareness

In Bhutan, medical errors and their causes are least studied and understood due to lack …

Leave a Reply