uplift rural poor

Home Forums From The Readers uplift rural poor

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  bhutjolokia 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

depbaap
    Participant

The Department of Agriculture under new Director General (Mr. Tenzing Dhendup) is determined to focus development of agriculture to uplift rural poor from poverty and enable them to earn high income. The DoA is focusing activities on vegetable production and rice intensification through development of irrigation and mechanization efforts. Such effort will lead to rice self sufficiency and import substitution of imported vegetables. I honestly request the government to support such effort through adequate allocation of resources. Rural development is imperative and will pay in the long run as source of employment and to achieve food self sufficiency. The DG of DoA has energy and drive and he is supported by committed professionals. I am sure Bhutan could achieve vegetable and staple self-sufficiency targets with concerted and collaborative effort from all concerned. Bhutan could walk with head held high if we do not have to depend on others for basic requirement such as food. Government should redirect resources from unsustainable factories and industries to agriculture development.

Cheers

wisdom
    Participant

This is good news. Such people need support from the Govt and the public as well. Yes rural development should be the focus, not only in agriculture but in all areas. It should be a holistic one and should include proper village development with good housing, water supply, proper hygiene and sanitation plan, schools and health faculties, community meeting halls etc
    By the way horses are dying, chillies are dying, oranges are decreasing in production, also there are problem with alanches. What is the MoA doing for these problems?

depbaap
    Participant

Chili dying: This is due to fungal disease commonly called as chili blight disease. It is caused by the fungus (phytophthora sp.) that lives in the wet and moist soil. This fungus is sometimes referred to as water mold for it likes high moisture. When there is excessive rain and soil is wet this fungal causes serious blighting of chili plant. The National Plant protection Center under the DoA has done several field trials and large scale demonstration to teach farmers about the disease control methods. In many chili growing areas farmers are implementing chili blight control methods and gradually this disease is being controlled although in some areas, especially during monsoon, the disease seems to plague the chili crop. The NPPC is committed to assist farmers to manage this disease as chili is very important crop for Bhutanese.

Orange dying: The citrus dying is a complex problem, caused by pathogens, insects, lack of nutrients, moisture and proper tree management. Generally speaking, farmers in Bhutan put less effort to manage this crop although it is a very important cash crop. Several efforts have been made even with donor assistance to alleviate problems (e.g. disease, insects etc) in this crop. At present, DoA/Horticulture division is implementing citrus production improvement project, which hopefully could solve some of these problems.

Cardamom dying: Yes indeed! cardamom was once a very profitable crop, but is now dying again due to two major fungal diseases. They are called colletotrichum blight and Fusarium wilt diseases. These diseases are very difficult to control. Colletotrichum blight becomes serious when there is excess humidity, moisture and when cardamom is raised in wet shady areas. Fusarium wilt occurs when the crop is exposed to dry conditions without adequate shade. Anyway, the MoAF/DoA is aware of these problem and now there is a cardamom rehabilitation project implemented by the Horticulture Division and NPPC together with RDCs and Dzongkhag agriculture sector. We are hopeful that we may be able to revive cardamom plantation and restore them to former glorious period where farmers could earn lot of money.

Overall, I am very hopeful that we could solve some of these pressing problems, especially with blessing and direction of dynamic leaderships within the Ministry of Agriculture and Forest. We have dynamic Lyonpo (Minister) supported by committed and high spirited DGs and professionals. We can make rural life livable and productive provided all Bhutanese lend a helping hand.

Cheers

wisdom
    Participant

Depbaap,
    Thank you for answering our concerns in detail. For our understanding you can be less complex by not using jargon or scientific words. Regarding chill, in the past it used to grow well in our community and they use to even export to Assam. But today I am told that my parents has to buy chillies from neighboring villages and from India. They have reported to RNR extension in the Gewog but we have seen no action or report on this. Besides this horses has been dying too in our village but vets has offer no solution. They have taken samples for testing but no repos=rt or actions. I would be grateful if you /other relevant people in the MoA could do something on these issues for the sake of rural populace who are dependent on this for their livelihood. Horses are equivalent to cars/Hilux in the villages.

depbaap
    Participant

I request someone from Livestock Dept, possibly, a Vet, to answer question of horse dying. It could be due to several causes but i think it is important to let people know as to why horses are dying. Information is power and it could change the life and help people to know.

cheers

casestudy
    Participant

Livestock Dept ??

XXX
    Participant

Just having the answers to the questions can’t be the solutions. What our farmers who are suffering from such problems need solution who can solve practically to regain their yield. Just identifying and answering serves no purpose if no actions taken practically.

It’s like solving jigsaw puzzle mystery on the paper which has no practical solutions.

If there is already scientific answers; we expect the actions how to address such problems immediately and practically. Unless it become realistic answers will be just mere assumptions or hypothesis.

bhutjolokia
    Participant

I am not from Livestock Dept. and not a Vet. But I remember having read an article in one of the newspapers this year, that on the Nabji-Khorphu eco-trail (Inaugurated Nov.2007) pack horses died after consuming a yellow flower called Jacobaea vulgaris or Ragwort. That poison kills the horses only after some time, they die of liver failture. I tried to track that article, but could not find it. SORRY !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.